If you ♥ this story, please share it. Thank you.
With eight races in two rounds completed in the ENZED CMC championship competition remains tight at the top of both Group One and Group Two categories.
In a series where the cars are the undoubted stars and the winnings amount to a chocolate fish for the top 3 in each group and the drivers coming from all walks of life and from all competitive backgrounds.
There are past champions from speedway, power boat, drag, HQ Holden, Mini 7, Porsche, NZV8, go-cart and club racing. The average driver is in his 40s, 50s or 60s, a little better established in life, still with a competitive spirit and an enthusiasm for mainly Australian and American pre 78 ‘muscle cars’.
The ENZED CMC series is the ideal platform for the resultant fierce competition, camaraderie and networking. Such is the popularity of ENZED CMC, that on frequent occasions, the CMC field outnumbers all other attending racing groups combined, in arguably the most popular support class in NZ motor racing.
“We have a butcher and a baker, with the series desperately seeking a candle stick maker,” says Sharon Cuttance, ENZED CMC secretary.
Pukekohe’s Dean Perkins leads the way
The top three to date in each group are entirely representative of the ENZED CMC Series.
1. Dean Perkins – Ford Falcon XD ( ex police car )– Roush-Yates ‘works’ NASCAR engine – 850bhp at 8850rpm – an engineer/tyre shop owner from Pukekohe.
A spectacularly skilful, press-on driver, with a very tail–out driving style and a driver never to turn your back on. (362 points).
2. Tony Galbraith – Valiant Charger V8 – Mopar NASCAR engine – similar horse power to the Falcon above – holding the entire weight of the Chrysler Corporation on his shoulders – a very fast, reliable and smooth driver from an ‘outlaw’ speedway background – from Hamilton the CEO/owner of a successful trucking empire.( 352 points).
3. Grant Dalton – Chevrolet Camaro – a GM NASCAR engine also – a famous round the world and America’s Cup sailor, this is his relaxation time.
Driving a car similar to 10 others in the series, he is just one of the guys in the ENZED CMC series competing for the chocolate fish.
Determined as ever, his simply superb and consistent driving this season has him third overall which is no surprise to his many friends in ENZED CMC. Resides in Auckland, when not elsewhere in the world. (345 points).
1. Tristen Teki – 1968 Chevrolet Camaro – self built engine, much less modified than Group One, his car remains warranted and road registered.
Some 600bhp with the required group, standard valve angles. A Tar Sealer from Wanganui and a simply superb race car driver. (403 points).
2. Dr John Elliott – 1972 Holden Torana GTR XU-1 – the only six cylinder car and the least powerful car in the series at 230bhp, but the ultimate ‘giant killer.’ Peter Brock would be proud.
Reliable as a Swiss watch and how the fine doctor gets this diminutive, superb handling and braking little car so far up each year in the series is the source of complete bemusement to his fellow competitors. Fabulous skill behind the wheel is the answer.
Dr John is a GP from Kumeu, a past Group Two winner and the long standing ENZED CMC president. (377 points)
3. Bruce Kett – 1968 Chevrolet Camaro – beautifully presented in its historic “ Rod Coppins Cambridge” colours. Bruce is a past multiple Group 2 champion, a very fast driver and famous for his ownership and abilities in the paint contracting world.
Bruce resides in Wainui, Auckland. (363 points).
ENZED CMC for Bathurst?
Over 30 competitors have competed in ENZED CMC so far this season. October 2015 is the anniversary of 100 years of motor sport at Mt Panorama Bathurst. Such is the professionalism and popularity of ENZED CMC that those rumours persist that ENZED CMC has been asked to appear at the ‘Great Race’ as a support class along with their ENZED Australian Touring Car Masters Series counterparts.
When asked about this Dr John just smiled, but rumour has it that many corks for their hats have been bought by ENZED CMC members.
Watch this space and wouldn’t that be quite something!! If spectacular cars and very close, exciting racing is your thing, then get along and watch ENZED CMC at Pukekohe Park Raceway this weekend.
Back to Top
Pukekohe Editor’s invitation: What’s your opinion? To make a comment or share your view about this story, scroll down to leave a message..